Thursday, August 15, 2013

MS3

Quick recap:
*So... STEP (my first round of medical boards) is OVER. Scores came out, and I was quite the happy camper. Pretty thankful that those 6 months of misery weren't all for nothing :)
*Cruise to the western Caribbean with my mom, sister, and 2 friends from med school was the best way to unwind after studying for so long and also a good way to end living in Galveston - I have to say, living across the street from the cruise terminal has its advantages!
*I MOVED TO AUSTIN! - I was really doubting this rather rash decision and second guessing myself, but now I'm SO THANKFUL to have taken that leap of faith. I absolutely love this city, love being away from the drama in Galveston, and am really excited to only be an hour away from my sister who is a sophomore at Baylor!

So jump ahead... I'm now a 3rd year medical student, meaning I roam around the hospital and get in the way and serve no real purpose! But it is totally fun, and people call me doctor, and I've stopped correcting them because it's at least fun to pretend ;)

My first rotation (July) was in outpatient internal medicine.  I worked in a geriatrics clinic with an amazing doctor and had so much fun with the old people!  It was a great experience and clinic hours are pretty glorious.  No weekends? Last patient at 430? Yes please.

My second rotation (August) is inpatient internal medicine at the hospital.  A typical day involves showing up around 7am, reviewing my patients' overnight labs/vitals/etc then going and examining them and writing progress notes.  I then meet up with my team of residents and attending doctor, and we round on all of our patients.  The afternoons are spent goofing off with the other med students, pretending to study, going to lectures, and then we also admit patients from the ER.  One day a week we have to stay late, but I've gotten pretty lucky so far.  I haven't been at work later than 8:15pm, and that was only once, so I think I've had it pretty easy!

My next rotation (September) is going to be GI consult - meaning we see all the patients who are hospitalized and have complicated GI problems...

It's crazy to think that I'm already 1/6th of the way through 3rd year.... that leaves only... 652 days until i'm a doctor. and have real responsibilities. FRIGHTENING.

School aside, Austin is GREAT. Maybe a little over the top hipster, but I rather like all their fun things like food trucks and live music and healthy lifestyle..... it's pretty cool living in a city that has ban plastic bags at the grocery store!

No comments:

Post a Comment