Sunday, September 8, 2013

first one

they say every physician remembers the first time one of their patient's dies. what they don't say is how to prepare for that. while I'm not yet a physician, I had my first patient die today.  I wasn't at the hospital to find out.  I logged onto the electronic medical record to check-in on her because I knew she wasn't doing well, and there I saw it... time of death: 656pm. so odd how this person serendipitously entered my life 11 days ago, and just as quickly left. funny how impacted I feel by this whole event.  i think a lot of that had to do with the fact that she was a fellow physician who still seemed to have so much life ahead of her... anyway, that's enough sadness on the blog front. just wanted to document a not-so-frequently-discussed side of medicine

No comments:

Post a Comment