Saturday, July 24, 2010

the coveted first entry

so i fully intended on starting a blog when i graduated in december, but by the time april rolled around, and it still hadn't happened, i decided it was getting a little too late. with med school right around the corner, i figured the blog would be abandoned rather quickly, so i let the idea go.

fast-forward to yesterday, friday, july 24th at 5:29pm. at this point in time, i was enjoying the last few weeks of summer, pondering what day to quit my gig at the Y, and plotting as to whether i could squeeze in another trip before med school orientation. with only days until we were set to close on the condo, i was already excited about unpacking all my red kitchenaid appliances, setting up life in galveston for the next 4 years, and meeting my future nerdy med school bffs. everything had finally come together after months of uncertainty as to which school i'd be attending, where i'd be living, etc...

5:30pm - a mere 30 seconds later, i receive a phonecall from UTMB. five minutes later, i find that i have just accepted a FULL-RIDE to medical school. the catch? i don't start until next year, august 2011. but what about my kitchen appliances? what about the condo i was about to buy? what about my nerdy friends? suddenly my life has taken a completely different turn.

i love how quickly things suddenly changed. i don't know that i have ever made such an impulsive decision in my life. not to mention such a HUGE decision in the matter of 5 minutes. for an insanely indecisive person who methodically reasons through the smallest things (aka: decides, second guesses, and decides again on what kind of cereal to buy), i was rather shocked that i knew the second she made the offer that i was to accept.

so that brings me to the present moment in time. after my initial reaction of "FREEDOM!!!," i was like wow sarah, what did you just agree to? then again, what better time to have a year off? i honestly feel like i've reclaimed a year of my youth (hence the blog title) - i have been running full force at the goal of becoming a doctor for longer than i can remember (seriously - aside from the fleeting dream of being an orca trainer at seaworld when i was 6, it has always been medicine. i ask myself every day why that is)... and i feel like i've been preparing to enter the profession FOREVER. if i wasn't studying, i was volunteering, or involving myself in extracurriculars, or preparing for the MCAT, or filling out applications, or interviewing, or waiting for acceptances, etc etc etc... and now i find myself being offered a chance to take a year and forget about the whole mess?? yes please! don't get me wrong, i'm insanely excited about one day having my own OR, delivering babies, and living the life, but for now i'm going to welcome this little unexpected vacation before plunging headfirst into what is undoubtedly one of the most demanding professions.

now that i have more than explained my reasons for starting this blog, i'll move on. my intentions for this blog are just to post bits & pieces from the upcoming year. i'm hoping to do more traveling as well as more baking (of course)... i wouldn't be surprised if this blog turned into a straight-up baking blog, but we'll see! in the meantime, if you have any suggestions of hobbies/places to travel/recipes/etc, please let me know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment